0.83 packages for Jaunty?

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 07:25:54 GMT 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 00:20,  <simon at mungewell.org> wrote:

>>> BTW why does it have to be different, should the Jaunty archive just
>>> point
>>> to the
>>> newer packages?
>>

>> No. 0.83 is a _development_ branch, while 0.82 is stable.
>>

> I appreciate that 0.83 is a dev branch, but so is Jaunty at this point. At
> some magical date the last version of 0.83 will become 0.84, if we wait
> for that point to start testing then we'll be rather late in getting a
> working system.

Yes. We need to get 0.83 packages into jaunty sooner or later, and the
preferred method is waiting for (or assisting with) debian packaging
0.83, and then syncing from them. Until that happens, using a PPA is
very easy and a good way to test the packaging.

If debian decide to stick with 0.82, we'll upload 0.83 releases to
jaunty, and eventually 0.84.

> I was really asking as to why it needs to be a seperate PPA. The PPA can
> hold multiple versions of the same package in the pool, the 'Packages'
> file tells which should be used for the specified distribution.
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/sugarteam/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/main/binary-i386/Packages
>
> There is no reason (that I can see) that
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/sugarteam/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages
> can't reference 0.83 packages (and then 0.84 packages as they get
> released).

It can. We can have jaunty 0.83 packages there, but I would also like
to provide intrepid 0.83 packages, as most 0.83 testers will be
running intrepid. That will require the additional PPA,
https://launchpad.net/~sugar-ppa-devel (which I might rename to
sugar-unstable or something).

> Whether we wish to support 0.84 packages on Ubuntu 8.10 is a different
> question, and might have some bearing on the matter. Personally I see
> little point as 0.84 will be out shortly before Jaunty and Intrepid is not
> a LTS version...

Yes, 0.84 could be provided for intrepid as a low priority. Jaunty
will be the supported way to run it.

Regards
Morgan