Sugar Labs - big picture

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 18 19:52:14 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 12:05 +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 13:02 +0200, Morgan Collett wrote:
> > http://learninglab.lincoln.ac.uk/blogs/jmunro/2008/07/18/day-15-sugar-packages-done/
> > lists a PPA where we have pretty much the latest upstream release,
> > based on Jani Monoses' packaging for hardy. For intrepid there will be
> > a couple of package names changing when we get the debian packages
> > synced.
>
> Great stuff. I guess the best person to recommend the best use of your
> work is Oliver Grawart. Have you contacted him about this?
>
> 	Jono

I have cced Oliver Grawert

i just wanted to take a moment and clarify Sugar Labs position and
goals.

A few months go we spun Sugar Labs off from OLPC to allow us to become
more involve in the larger open source community.  As a result we are
making a push to increase the availability of the Sugar desktop on Linux
distributions.  There are same great people working on packages for
Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora.

We are working hard to adapt our development and governance models to
reflect the increased power and trust that Sugar Labs places in the
community.  These changes have caused their fair share of public flames
and disgruntlement;(

Moving forward we have a two primary goals:
1.  Continue to support the ~600,000 XO that OLPC has already deployed.
2.  Engage that larger open source community in Sugar Labs.

When talking to educators who are interested in using Sugar, their
initial concern is the availability of Sugar in a form that 'just
works.'  It would we great if we could generate enough interest to have
a live edubutnu cd that booted to the sugar desktop.

Educator's second concern is ease of deployment.  It is rare to find a
teacher who has the time, interest, and ability to tinker with their
computer network.  We are starting work on a plug and play Sugar server.

This seem to pretty well match the canonical/Ubuntu business model of
giving away the software while offering support for a subscription
fee.

Here is to a long and fruitful collaboration between Sugar Labs and
Ubuntu!

thanks
dfarning