[ubuntu-studio-users] DNS restoration

Brian Hagen bdhagen at jvlnet.com
Thu Feb 16 15:22:09 UTC 2023

Hello, all,

     I am running Ubuntu Studio 18.04 on a LAN at home. From time to
time, the modem and/or router has to be reset (ISP issues and such).
Following that, although the Ubuntu machine can still access the
Internet itself, the DNS-based access is no longer available. Commands
such as 'ping <sitename>' verify that the sites can no longer be reached
via DNS. Error messages are typically "Failure in resolution" and such
text. The machine here still has the same IP address on the LAN as
before the modem/router resets were done. Manual requests to reassign an
IP address to the Ubuntu machine do not regain DNS connectivity.

     In spite of this errant status, services such as Spotify and email
functions can still operate. Even so, I end up having to shut down every
external service, dismount all partitions, and restart. What I would
like to know is how to restore the DNS services without having to resort
to a full-scale reboot.

     Comment is invited.

Brian