[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu Studio 22.04 LTS Beta Released

Erich Eickmeyer erich at ericheickmeyer.com
Thu Mar 31 17:52:31 UTC 2022

The Ubuntu Studio team is pleased to announce the beta release of Ubuntu
Studio 22.04 LTS, codenamed “Jammy Jellyfish”.

While this beta is reasonably free of any showstopper DVD build or
installer bugs, you may find some bugs within. This image is, however,
reasonably representative of what you will find when Ubuntu Studio 22.04
LTS is released on October 22, 2021.

Ubuntu Studio 22.04 LTS will be Ubuntu Studio’s first Long-Term
Support(LTS) release with the KDE Plasma Desktop Environment.
Special notes:

   - Due to the change in desktop environment, directly upgrading to Ubuntu
   Studio 22.04 LTS from 20.04 LTS is not supported and will not be supported.
    However, upgrades from Ubuntu Studio 21.10 will be supported. See the
   Release Notes for more information. Anecdotally, some people have had
   success upgrading from 20.04 LTS to a later version, so your mileage may
   vary.
   - The Ubuntu Studio 22.04 LTS disk image (ISO) exceeds 4.0 GB and cannot
   be downloaded to some file systems such as FAT32, and may not be readable
   when burned to a DVD. For this reason, we recommend creating a bootable
   USB stick
   <https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu#1-overview> with
   the ISO image.

Images can be obtained from this link:
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/22.04/beta/

Full updated information is available in the Release Notes
<https://ubuntustudio.org/ubuntu-21-10-release-notes/>.
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GroovyGorilla/Beta/UbuntuStudio>
New Features

Ubuntu Studio 22.04 LTS includes the new KDE Plasma 5.24 LTS desktop
environment. This is a beautiful and functional upgrade to previous
versions, and we believe you will like it.

Studio Controls is upgraded to 2.3.0 and includes numerous bug fixes.

OBS Studio is upgraded to version 27.2.3 and works with Wayland sessions.
While Wayland is not currently the default, it is available as unsupported
and experimental.

There are many other improvements, too numerous to list here. We encourage
you to take a look around the freely-downloadable ISO image.
Known Issues

   - At this time, the installer (Calamares) will crash when attempting an
   installation on a manually-partitioned btrfs file system. (LP: #1966774
   <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1966774>)
   - MyPaint crashes upon launching (LP: #1967163
   <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1967163>), may be resolved after an update.
   - There are a few cosmetic issues thatshould be resolved before final
   release.

Official Ubuntu Studio release notes can be found at
https://ubuntustudio.org/ubuntu-studio-22-04-lts-release-notes/

Further known issues, mostly pertaining to the desktop environment, can be
found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JammyJellyfish/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ImpishIndri/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu>

Additionally, the main Ubuntu release notes contain more generic issues:
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/jammy-jellyfish-release-notes/24668
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does KDE Plasma use more resources than your former desktop environment
(Xfce)?