[ubuntu-studio-users] audio disappeared in Ubuntu Studio 21.10 with KDE desktop

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Sun Feb 13 17:28:37 UTC 2022

Recently all my audio disappeared in Ubuntu Studio 21.10 with KDE desktop.

It all worked fine until today, and now there is no audio. I installed
Kmix and the sound came back, but in the KDE System Settings program it
no longer lists any section for Audio, which was there before.

The volume icon had disappeared from the main Panel, but one reappeared
after installing Kmix, at which point audio was working again, but just
for a short time, as the audio stopped working again after rebooting.

I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling pulseaudio but no change.

I have tried restarting pulseaudio, or using pulseaudio -k to kill it
which had worked yesterday when the audio did not come on at bootup, but
it had worked okay after that. Today even that does not work.

What can I do to get back the audio? And to have it listed in the System
Settings? And to get back the original icon for sound in the Panel that
I had before?

David