[ubuntu-studio-users] A view on new Ubuntu studio 21.04

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 5 19:47:35 UTC 2021

Hello Auro,

On Friday, June 4, 2021 5:45:17 PM PDT AURO KUMAR SAHOO wrote:
> Sir
> I am really thankful to Ubuntu studio team and congratulations for bringing
> this awesome distribution. The recent 21.04 with kde is much better and
> usable too.
>
> One thing I miss from old 18.04 is that there I have options to select
> packages that I need and unselect that doesn't needed.
>
> I am more to design and graphic and a little video editing, so earlier I
> use the photography, graphics and video package selection and only audacity
> in Audio.
> Now though kde plasma desktop is more good and usable but I am installing
> with many audio system I don't require.

Unfortunately, that module was causing a gigantic amount of problems and had
to be removed[1]. I've been in talks with the team making the new Ubuntu
installer to see if we can get something like this back in the future, but I
wouldn't put my hopes into it.

Another option we have might be to create a minimal install option and use
Ubuntu Studio Installer[2] to install the needed metapackages for whatever you
need. A way that this can be achieved today is by using Kubuntu's installer
and then installing ubuntustudio-default-settings and ubuntustudio-installer
to get the exact same thing as a minimal install, albiet with some minimal
audio packages installed, but not the full suite.

> I am looking forward to next LTS release and hopefully you may add that
> package selection in install module.
>
> Lastly the animated rotating studio logo was refreshing than a static one,
> I may request if possible please provide the same when screen goes blank
> during booting so the charm of the Ubuntu studio rotating logo keep my eyes
> relaxing looking at them.

We removed the rotating logo for design reasons in order to be more consistent
with overall Ubuntu branding This project is not separate from the main Ubuntu
project, just like all official flavors[3]. That same animation had been in since
2012 and it was time to go. It was removed in 18.10, so nearly 3 years ago.

The boot screen does have an animated component in which there is a swirling
circle above the Ubuntu Studio logo, which should all be underneath your
computer manufacturer's logo if on a UEFI boot system (if on BIOS, it would
just be the animation and logo at the bottom). If it's not animating, it's
probably because your system is booting into the login screen faster than it
can load the animation (this is a reason many distributions have removed the
Plymouth boot animation altogether).

So, I'm sorry to say that your requests aren't possible at this time, due to
the known bug and for branding consistency across all Ubuntu flavors. I do
appreciate you mailing the list, and I hope this answers these questions for
everyone who asks in the future.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntustudio-meta/+bug/1851346
    (bug is marked as Fix Released only due to the removal of the module)
[2] https://ubuntustudio.org/ubuntu-studio-installer
[3] https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours

--
Erich Eickmeyer