[ubuntu-studio-users] Network disabled on PC after last update

Ross Gammon ubuntustudio at the-gammons.net
Mon Apr 19 18:32:29 UTC 2021

Hi Paul,

On 18/04/2021 18:20, sciguy wrote:
> I have a desktop computer that dual boots into Ubuntu Studio and Windows
> 10. It is connected to the internet using a cat-5 cable to my router.
>
> After the last update and rebooting, it turns out that I no longer have
> ethernet on Linux. This is not true on Windows, as I am writing you this
> email from the same computer.
>
> I strongly suspect that there is an update issue that is disabling
> ethernet on Linux. Right now, my computer is in splendid isolation from
> the rest of the world. I can't even see computer resources from other
> computers in my apartment. I also can't see the router itself through my
> browser.
>
> Any ideas as to what to do next to diagnose the problem?
>
> Paul

If you updated Ubuntu a while back and haven't used it for a while, you
may have been hit by a bug caused by some of the kernel security
releases causing network connectivity to fail if you have a USB audio
device.

This happened to me a couple of times after an update.

The solution was to reboot and select an old version of the kernel in
the GRUB menu. If you are lucky, that version of the kernel will have a
working network and you can do an update of the system. The latest
kernels do not have the problem.

This is a bit of a guess, because you gave more information about your
Windows version than your Ubuntu Studio version. :-)

Regards,

Ross