[ubuntu-studio-users] Zoom freeze

Mike Squires michael.leslie.squires at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 17:38:14 UTC 2020

I am running 20.04 on a Dell T7600, single Xeon E5 at 2.4 Ghz, quad
core; 16GB RAM and Quadro K2000 video.  The system came with a Windows
10 Pro license and I've installed Ubuntu Studio in a dual-boot
configuration under UEFI.  I paid $125 at the Indiana University surplus
store for the computer which can be expanded quite a bit (including to
12 core CPUs in the same E5 family) at low cost since it's no longer on
the leading edge.

I had the same lockup during a Zoom lesson where video stopped but audio
continued; after a few minutes the whole system locked up.

I had another similar lockup, this time not in Zoom.

The default installation used the "nouveau" video driver.  Under the
assumption that the Quadro K2000 might be the source of the problem I
followed Ubuntu instructions for identifying the recommended nVidia
driver and installed that.  I was going to replace the  K2000 with a AMD
HD 7450 card but thought I would try the driver first.

Since switching to the recommended nVidia driver there have been no
lockups.  Video speed has increased dramatically, from a glmark2 speed
of under 1000 with the "nouveau" driver to 2500 with the nVidia driver.

I used the linuxconfig.org method for 20.04 which involves first running
"ubuntu-drivers devices" which gave me a recommended driver with "apt
install nvidia-driver-<number>", followed by a reboot.

Mike Squires

--
Michael L. Squires, Ph.D., M.P.A.
546 North Park Ridge Road