[ubuntu-studio-users] soft high pitched whine from Jack

Ian McGrath ian at brooklynmcgrath.net
Tue Nov 17 16:28:23 UTC 2020

hi
I'm running Ubuntu studio controls on Kubuntu 20.04 lowlatency. I'm using the default configuration of letting jack manage audio, and running pulseaudio into jack via qjackctl. This mostly works fine.

Just 2 things:
I have to manually set up the connections mapping pulse into system. I have a script that does this, but qjackctl can't seem to run it successfully, using its script triggering.

When I start up the computer, if I turn up the audio I can hear a high pitched whine. Normally this does not bother me, but if I have to turn up the audio higher for any reason, there it is. And of course, this just should not be.

My computer is an alienware aurora-r9 I bought from Dell with core i7, 9th gen chip. It's set up as a dual boot with windows and ubuntu running on separate SSDs. When I run windows this whine is not present, so I don't attribute the issue to my audio setup (I'm running the computers' 16th-inch audio out jack into a RCA input to a Technics component audio receiver/amplifier.)

I opened a ticket on askubuntu last month where I included lshw information https://askubuntu.com/questions/1279534/soft-high-pitched-whine-in-the-background-at-all-time-ubuntustudio-20-04-on-ali