[ubuntu-studio-users] Cinelerra-GG

Ross Gammon rosco at ubuntustudio.org
Wed May 6 17:05:11 UTC 2020

Hi Mike,

On 02/05/2020 20:24, Mike Squires wrote:

> I've done a little, including a video that merged a video track shot
> with a smartphone with an audio track recorded using a Zoom H4 using
> OpenShot; it worked well.  However, OpenShot can't as far as I know
> allow the windowing of video streams as the audio content changes and I
> don't see that in KDEenlive either.

Would it be possible to use Obs-studio? I have never used it, but a
quick search of their website showed it is possible to mixed several
video sources, and also syncronise a separate audio source using the
delay setting in the mixer.

> One package that I have a little experience with is Cinelerra.  I had
> previously played with Cinelerra-CV but it appears that this project has
> been merged with Cinelerra-GG.The path used by others has been to send
> out a click track with charts for the rhythm section.  Once the rhythm
> section audio is merged it is then send to the section leaders, if any
> and the result of that process is merged and then sent to the section
> members.  The result of this process is then sent to the soloists and
> the final merge of audio tracks and video tracks is then done on
> something like Cinelerra.  The individual recordings can be done as
> simply as shooting video from a smartphone but a separate recording on
> better equipment is of course a good idea.

I have been watching several TV shows with bands playing songs together,
whilst "Coronavirus isolated" in their own separate home studios. It was
good to see the pros using similar setups to mine, but with more
expensive gear! I saw lots of Macs and ProTools. I have not done it
myself, but I assume you would use Ardour to bounce the audio tracks
around the different band members/sections?

Incidentally, there have been some attempts to get cinelerra into Debian:
If you were willing to learn Debian packaging, you could try and revive
that effort. Or you could try and convince one of the Debian Developers
that are interested to restart there efforts.

Cheers,

Ross