[ubuntu-studio-users] Dual System-Startup-Beginner

Dave at Dalek Zone dave at dalek.zone
Fri Jun 19 06:55:14 UTC 2020

Hi Andy,

At boot time, when you hit a black screen with the command prompt, it
means Linux couldn't find a bootable disk. I'm not an expert at all, but
I'm guessing it's because you're trying to use the USB hard disk and, at
that stage of the boot process, it isn't yet mounted maybe. Or it is
mounted, but is not formatted as a bootable medium.

Maybe someone with deeper knowledge than me might join the thread.

This is the Ubuntu Studio mailing list, and you might do better to try
the general Ubuntu users list, where there will be more readers.

Often, another faster way to get help is to join one of the Ubuntu IRC
channels on freenode.net, or one of the Ubuntu-related Matrix channels
on riot.im. There, you can get "real-time' help (if you have a second
computer so that you can still be online while doing the actual
installation).

I'm not familiar with Mac, so I'm not sure why the Ubuntu installer
failed to see your Mac OS on the internal disk. I know it does with
Windows, for instance.

The best advice I can offer is to renounce the idea of using the WD USB
disk and, instead, use that disk to back up all your data from your Mac
OS.

Then one way forward might be to delete the Mac OS, install Ubuntu
(leaving, for instance, half the disk space free), and then re-install
the Mac OS afterwards... But this is just a suggestion to consider...

When setting up a Windows/Ubuntu dual-boot system, the trick is to
install Windows first, and then install Ubuntu AFTERWARDS (which is the
opposite of what I just suggested...) That way, Windows installs,
thinking it has the whole system to itself. Then Ubuntu installs
afterwards but sees your existing Windows system, and sets up a
boot-time menu that gives you the choice of which OS to boot.

I would have thought that it would be the same procedure with a Mac, but
you say Ubuntu wanted to simply use the entire disk... Did you just
leave free space or your disk? Or did you actually create an empty
partition in that space? It might work better if you create the empty
partition. Then Ubuntu might see it.

Again, I'm not an expert, so maybe someone more knowledgeable may speak
up. Anyway, hope this helps. :-)

---
All best wishes,
Dave