[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu Studio Controls and jack start anomalies

Mac macdroid53 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 17:50:22 UTC 2019

Hi,

I've been using UBS 19.04 for a while. I have 3 different machines.

One I've noted no issues...though I've not messed with it that much.

The other two I've noted:

- Desktop with firewire audio device and onboard sound.
-- boot/login
-- UBS controls are set to start jack automatically, but it doesn't
-- if I start Carla, it shows the audio I/O of the FW device but not as
jack sink/source, nothing else
--- (FW device shows 1394 connects, and rate changes to 48 from 44)
-- if us UBS controls to restart jack, no audio I/O shown
-- now reboot/login
-- use UBS controls to restart jack
-- now all FW audio AND the onboard audio, AND Pulse source/sink appear in
Carla

- Laptop with onboard audio and external USB audio
-- boot/login
-- start Carla, all onboard and USB audio I/O present and Pulse source/sink
-- now connect pulse to onboard audio
-- if the first sound source used is via pulse where the source is, for
example from a browser
sounds fine.
-- But if the pulse out is connected to the USB out. (i.e the pulse out is
now going to both onboard and USB) The next sound played sound fine on the
USB device, but is digital noise on the onboard.
-- But, if both are connected before and sound source is played, then both
onboard and USB sound fine.

I now know to avoid these situations. But, I'm wondering if there is
something I'm doing that is causing them to begin with...🤔

Regards,
Mac