[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu Studio 19.10 Released

eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 17 17:28:10 UTC 2019

Ubuntu Studio 19.10 Released
The Ubuntu Studio team is pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu
Studio 19.10, code-named “Eoan Ermine”. This marks Ubuntu Studio’s 26th
release. This release is a regular release and as such, it is supported
for 9 months.
For those requiring longer-term support, we encourage you to install
Ubuntu Studio 18.04 “Bionic Beaver” and add the Ubuntu Studio Backports
PPA, which will keep 18.04 supported through April 2020.
Since it’s just out, you may experience some issues, so you might want
to wait a bit before upgrading. Please see the release notes for a
complete list of changes and known issues.
Download Here
New This ReleaseOBS Studio
OBS Studio is now included by default, making Ubuntu Studio the first-
ever operating system ready for live streaming and video recording out-
of-the-box.
We realize that OBS Studio 24 has already been released, however we
only include version 23 since by the time version 24 was released, the
deadlines for inclusion in the Ubuntu repositories had already passed.
As such, if you require a newer version, the OBS Project does have a
PPA. If you choose to add this PPA, please note that neither the Ubuntu
Studio nor any other Ubuntu team can support it.
Additional Audio Plugins
Adding nearly 100 audio plugins to Ubuntu Studio, we now include
plugins from the Linux Studio Plugins project and the Distrho Plugins
Framework. You will find these plugins in LADSPA, LV2, and VST formats.
RaySessionTo replace the abandoned LADI Session Handler, we opted to
adopt RaySession, a Qt-based audio application session handler API-
compatible with Non Session Manager. This already supports a large
number of applications that are already installed by default, and, per
user feedback, provides superior session handling than the old LADI
tools when paired with Carla.

New Ubuntu Studio Controls
Ubuntu Studio Controls version 1.11.3 is included in this release, and
provides numerous improvements:
Now includes an indicator to show whether or not Jack is runningAdded
Jack backend selections: Firewire, ALSA, or Dummy (used for testing
configurations)Added multiple PulseAudio bridgesAdded convenient
buttons for starting other configuration toolsOther ChangesUfraw has
been removed from the repositories as development ceased in 2015, and
it is incompatible with the current version of Gimp. For those
affected, we suggest you find a new workflow for working with RAW
images. Applications we suggest include RawTherapee and DarkTable.
Want to help out?Ubuntu Studio is maintained by a very small team and
we are actively seeking new contributors. We are looking
for developers, packagers and testers. Even if you are interested in
contributing outside these areas, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Your contribution is precious regardless of your field of activity. We
are open to volunteers with all expertise levels. Just head over to
our contribute page to find out how to get started.
Found a bug?Taking the time to report bugs makes a huge difference;
it’s the first step towards improvement! Clear and specific bug reports
is the best way to get attention to a problem that needs fixing. The
easiest way to create a bug report is with the terminal.
Open one up and type: ubuntu-bug <package>
Read more about this at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
Special Thanks for This ReleaseErich Eickmeyer: Project Leader,
Communications, Ubuntu Studio Installer contributions, Social Media,
Packaging, Documentation, Artwork, VisionLen Ovens: Ubuntu Studio
Controls, Ubuntu Studio Installer, CodingBrian Hechinger: Ubuntu Studio
Controls contributions and testingThomas Ward: Packaging, Ubuntu Core
Developer for Ubuntu Studio, Code CleanupRoss Gammon: Upstream Debian
Developer, Guidance, Sage WisdomOur many testers and help along the
way----
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader
Ubuntu Studio