[ubuntu-studio-users] Problem installing lightworks from .deb, changing primary display has no effect

CCE drcce2001 at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 12 09:03:17 UTC 2019

See this thread on the Lightworks forum:https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=21&id=196640&Itemid=81Note especially this post: "Ubuntu 19.04 is new and has been released after the current Lightworks release V14.5. That might explain the problem.

I can imagine that it will be addressed with the next version of Lightworks, but this might take a while for final release.

For the time being, Lightworks runs on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS very well." Chris
-------- Original message --------From: John Moriarty <jlmoriart at gmail.com> Date: 12/07/2019  5:54 am  (GMT+00:00) To: Ubuntu Studio Users <ubuntu-studio-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-studio-users] Problem installing lightworks from .deb, changing primary display has no effect Hi all,

          I'm having some trouble with a
            freshly installed Ubuntu Studio 19.04. When I click the .deb
            file downloaded from the lightworks website,
            it opens in "Software". When I click the install button, I
            see the progress bar show up and start at 0% when the
            Authentication window pops up. When I enter my password and
            confirm, the progress bar just disappears and the "Install"
            button shows up again, and the program has not been
            installed. This is not a problem for other .deb files.

          Any idea why this would be the
            case, or how to work around it simply? This wasn't a problem
            on 18.04.

    Two issues:
    1) Lightworks only supports installation on LTS releases (aka 18.04
    with the Backports).
    2) Ubuntu Studio (and Ubuntu in general) does not support
    installation from outside the official repositories, so please do
    not expect support for that here. Please seek support from
    Lightworks, but as I mentioned, they only support installation on
    LTS releases.Thanks for the heads up. Just out of curiosity, where did you see that Lightworks only supports installation on LTS releases? I can't seem to find where that's stated, but it's probably right in front of my face. Also, when I change my primary
            display, nothing changes. The top bar along with the whisker
            menu, time, and icons stay where they are. Is that not what
            the primary display is supposed to change?

    Might be an issue with Xfce. Not the first time I've heard of this
    happening, but I don't have any problems when going multi-display on
    my end, and have no issues setting my primary display.

        [snip]
          PS. Are people aware that on this page the http://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/support/mailinglists/ link
            is broken?

    I wasn't, but I don't pay any attention there. I'll let the
    powers-that-be know there's an issue.Thank you, I appreciate it.

          Also, how are people supposed to
            make use of the archives here to make
            sure a question hasn't already been asked? Are you supposed
            to download the whole archive and search it on your own
            machine??

    It is well known that the archives are not searchable, which is one
    of the reasons askubuntu.com exists. In fact, askubuntu.com is the
    FIRST place one should go for support anymore. It's searchable and
    answers can be updated far into the future, making it much more
    future-proof than mailing lists, which are very much an outdated
    method of receiving support. The Ubuntu community (and Canonical)
    are pushing to make it the primary method of support.

    I hope this helps. Perhaps someone else has insight to the
    lightworks issue. However, I have to, from an official Ubuntu (and
    Ubuntu Studio) standpoint, say the lightworks issue receives no
    support here.You've been very reasonable, thank you. I think I'll just go back to 18.04, and take any issues I have to askubuntu.com.Best,John