[ubuntu-studio-users] Updates for February 2019

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 16 20:49:22 UTC 2019

Updates for February 2019
With Ubuntu 19.04’s feature freeze quickly approaching, we would like
to announce the new updates coming to Ubuntu Studio 19.04.
Updated Ubuntu Studio ControlsThis is really a bit of a bugfix for the
version of Ubuntu Studio Controls that landed in 18.10. Ubuntu Studio
Controls dramatically simplifies Audio setup for the JACK Audio
Connection Kit on your Ubuntu installation, and is the only GUI tool
that enables JACK to automatically detect hotplugged USB Audio devices
along with allowing more than one audio device to be connected to JACK
simultaneously.
Addition of Ubuntu Studio Backports PPABecause Ubuntu Studio Controls
is easy to use, we found it was also easier to support than the stack
available in Ubuntu Studio 18.04. For this reason, among others, we
have created an Ubuntu Studio Backports PPA, and will backport the
newer versions of the Ubuntu Studio tools and select applications to
this PPA. Please do keep in mind that this PPA is not supported by
Ubuntu. Use it at your own
risk. Support is provided by the Ubuntu Studio team only.
If you are on Ubuntu Studio 18.04 or newer, simply add this PPA by
typing the following into your terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntustudio-ppa/backportsWhile support for
Ubuntu Studio 18.04 was supposed to end in January due to its non-LTS
status, we have decided to support it until the release of 20.04, and
we felt a Backports PPA was the best way to do this. There will be no
releases of Ubuntu Studio 18.04.x ISO, but updating the already-
available ISO as well as adding the backports PPA will keep you up-to-
date and allow the Ubuntu Studio team to support you better.
New Features in Ubuntu Studio Installer
In the past, Ubuntu Studio Meta Installer had been a tool used to
install metapackages of various creative application categories. Now,
Ubuntu Studio Installer can be used to install not only those
metapackages, but also the under-the-hood tweaks used to enable real-
time audio processing and reduce the default swappiness, which dictates
when the system starts moving unused portions of RAM to the hard drive
swap file. This increases overall performance for most applications,
but is not recommended for systems with less than 4GB of RAM. Also
included is the lowlatency Linux kernel, as well as the option to move
the lowlatency kernel to the top of your GRUB bootloader menu, making
it the default which is especially useful for audio production.
With these changes, Ubuntu Studio Installer allows you to install
Ubuntu Studio as a ToolKit on top of your existing Ubuntu installation,
including official flavors (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE,
Ubuntu Budgie), although our default ISO installer is based on Xubuntu.
Additionally, Ubuntu Studio will allow you to rebrand your Ubuntu (or
flavor) install as Ubuntu Studio, theming your GRUB menu and Plymouth
theme accordingly. For Ubuntu (proper), it will also re-theme your GDM
login screen to Ubuntu Studio, and install the vanilla GNOME session
which more closely matches the Ubuntu Studio branding, and install
GNOME Tweaks to allow you to retheme using our Numix Blue theme and
icon theme. These items are purely cosmetic, but we believe it adds to
the Ubuntu Studio experience.
The Ubuntu Studio Installer will also give you the option to add the
backports PPA mentioned above.
New Tool: Carla
The ubiquitous JACK routing tool, Patchage, is no longer developed.
This has made finding a replacement a priority. The Ubuntu Studio Team
determined a good replacement to be Carla from KXStudio. We have been
working closely with the upstream developer to add this tool as not
only a replacement for Patchage, but to add a high-quality plugin host
as well. Carla includes a graphical patchbay and includes experimental
features such as the ability to host Windows VST audio plugins (the
Windows bridge will not be installed by default and must be added after
Ubuntu Studio installation). This has been a much-requested feature and
we hope it helps audio producers everywhere.
Carla will be available in Ubuntu Studio 19.04 as well as our Backports
PPA.
New Boot ThemeWe hope you like the new, simplified, Plymouth Boot Theme
coming to Ubuntu Studio 19.04, which will be added to our Backports
PPA.
Telegram as an Additional Support Channel
We have added a new way to receive official support from the Ubuntu
Studio team, as well as a way to connect the community: Telegram.
Telegram is an instant-messaging app available for Linux, Windows, Mac,
Android, and iOS. As such, we have created a bridge from our brand-new
Telegram groups to our official Ubuntu Studio IRC channels, expanding
the methods in which to connect our community and offer support.
Additionally, we encourage our community to offer support to each other
via Telegram and IRC.
Click Here to join our official Ubuntu Studio Support Telegram Group
Click Here to join our Ubuntu Studio Café (non-support) Telegram Group
Ubuntu Studio in the MediaOur council chair, Erich Eickmeyer, recently
appeared on the Destination Linux podcast to discuss these items. Check
it out! https://destinationlinux.org/episode-108/