[ubuntu-studio-users] Assume good faith - Was: Non-final, but very testable (hint, hint) Cosmic RC builds

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Oct 15 18:36:59 UTC 2018

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 10:10:43 -0700, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
>Using "Let Me Google That" is not welcome here.

Hi,

there is no such Ubuntu mailing list policy, but Ubuntu related mailing
lists follow the "assume good faith" approach.

The Internet, Linux in general and Ubuntu provide several tools, that
help a user to get information.

Regarding the request of the original thread it's essential to help
users becoming aware of those tools and how to use them.

Sometimes information that helps a lot isn't optimal.

However, the Internet provides search engines.

Linux comes with so called 'man pages' (manual pages) for a lot of
software, so it doesn't harm to recommend a search engine and to
provide a helpful search term.

"Let Me Google That" could be misused as a passive-aggressive tactics,
but using it not necessarily is a passive-aggressive tactics.

Linux in general provides the command

  [weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ apropos 'apropos'
  apropos (1)          - search the manual page names and descriptions

not useful in case of the original thread.

Ubuntu flavour default installs provide the easy to use tool 'apt' that
unfortunately isn't well documented yet (other distros provide the same
or similar tools), that's why I added the PS.

We had a discussion about
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html on the Ubuntu users
mailing list, since this is a good as well as an ambivalent help.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 12:03:33 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
>>> It needs condensing (tl;dr) or we need a more concise and
>>> up-to-date page to refer users to.
>>
>> I agree on Nils's as well as on your opinion. The link is
>> "intimidating" and way too long, containing a lot of irrelevant
>> information and a few insults.
>
> [snip]
>
>> However, it's a link much used, since
>> it's not easy to find a better explanation.
>
>Indeed it's not, and I should probably get off my hobbyhorse and
>re-write the damn thing :-)
>
>///Peter

The complete mail and thread are available at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-August/294907.html

Other than "Let Me Google That" the famous "smart questions" link
suffers from a few issues, such as insults.

Hopefully somebody does re-write it soon, but as long as there is no
alternative, it's still a helpful text and many people provide this
link without a bad intention.

Btw. when I wrote my reply, nobody else had replied. Yes, there is a
reply that was sent before I sent my reply, but it wasn't when I
started writing.

Regards,
Ralf