[ubuntu-studio-users] apps in sudo - fonts turn to squares

bart deruyter bart.deruyter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 10:26:57 UTC 2018

Hello,

since yesterday applications  requiring sudo (e.g. synaptic) have trouble
with loading fonts. When launching synaptic it starts out fine, I can read
everything, but when I perform a search for some software, the fonts are
replaced by empty boxes, as if the fonts aren't found anymore. So it
becomes impossible to use.

As a test I launched nautilus as sudo, and the same thing happened. First
it was OK, but when I performed a search, the fonts got replaced too while
the search continued, then gradually the fonts came back. In synaptic they
don't.

I've already tried sudo fc-cache -fv hoping it was a caching problem, but
it doesn't help.

Any idea's?

grts,
Bart