[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu Studio 18.04 - hangs on shutdown/restart (HP-Pavillion 17-ab440ng Notebook)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 27 09:07:58 UTC 2018

Hi Lisi,

lets start troubleshooting. First without taking a look at log files.

Open a terminal. I suspect Ubuntu Studio Bionic by default provides
xfce4-terminal.

In the terminal run

  shutdown -h now

to poweroff ("shutdown") or

  shutdown -r now

to reboot ("restart"). It doesn't matter if you use '-h' or '-r' the
shutdown processes are the same.

Then copy from the terminal and paste to your reply the last around 45
lines or all lines, if there should be less lines, after the shutdown
"hangs".

Scroll up and take a look at all other lines, perhaps some lines contain
'fails' or similar, or repeated some 'job' appears, if so copy and
paste such lines, too.

To copy from xfce4-terminal either use the right mouse-click menu, the
menu bar's "Edit" menu or when using a shortcut care about using

Shit+Ctrl+C (Strg+Alt+C)

_not_ Ctrl+C (Strg+C).

Btw. usually HTML isn't wanted at mailing lists. Plain text is
preferred over HTML, resp. multipart.

To paste output from the terminal stay with HTML (if you shouldn't know
how to switch between auto-wrapping and unwrapped lines for plain text
mails edited with your mailer), since it's better if terminal output
gets copied unwrapped.

Second with taking a look at a log file.

In a terminal run

  journalctl -b -1 -n45

and copy and paste.

An idea strikes me!

Usually mailing lists allow to attach small text output to an email.

So you could run

  journalctl -b -1 -n45 > ~/Desktop/shutdown-log.txt

and attach the log file from your desktop to an email, instead of
copying and pasting it.

shutdown -h now > ~/Desktop/shutdown-log.txt 2>&1

won't work.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: This is a more or less dead mailing list. Consider to ask audio
related questions at

There's much more traffic on this list, you could at least reach one
active Ubuntu Studio team member there.

Regarding general Ubuntu flavour related request, such as this
one, consider to join