[ubuntu-studio-users] PulseEffects

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 23 04:50:43 UTC 2017

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 00:57:35 +0000 (UTC), Jota Pe wrote:
>I think the Ubuntu Studio Development Team should consider to include
>this as a "by default" app.

Hi,

Linux audio already suffers from far too much packages containing bad
effects, such as EQs that not really do, what a good EQ should do. From
time to time it is discussed to provide packages containing clean
effects only, but actually nothing happens. At best the host app
crashes when using a bad effect, but if you have bad luck, the bad
effect works, so inexperienced audio engineers will mix productions
with e.g. a bad EQ. It's already a fatal mistake that a distro aimed
for artists comes with pulseaudio and it would make it more worse, if
this crappy sound server by default would come with such a crappy
effect suite. The developers should add pro-audio proved effects and
remove pulseaudio instead of focussing more on pulseaudio.

Btw. those who remove pulseaudio, but for some reason want to stay with
Firefox, could use https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse to workaround the
Firefox audio issue. Perhaps apulse works for other apps, such as
skype, too. I only checked that it works with Firefox (on Arch Linux).

Regards,
Ralf