[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu Studio 16.04 XFCE all icons missing

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Wed Sep 20 12:36:24 UTC 2017

I have a problem with my Ubuntu Studio 16.04 installation today. It was
working okay before, but today, when I logged in, most of the icons were
missing, including inside things like Thunderbird.

I rebooted and then even the icons on the login screen were all gone,
and when I log in, all icons are missing along with the wallpaper.

I can boot into a different Linux on the same PC and it is all okay with
that.

I have tried restoring some files (cache files, session files) from a
known good backup, but it makes no difference. I also tried booting with
a different kernel and it made no difference.

I wonder if it is a problem with the OS there are even no icons at the
login screen.

I did not do any major updates lately, although there were quite a lot
of updates pending, which I was going to install today, but have not
done so because of this problem.

I have tried searching on Google and could not find any solution.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or know what needs to be fixed? It
seems like programs can run okay, but without the icons, nothing is
really much usable.

David King