[ubuntu-studio-users] pulseaudio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Apr 15 10:22:27 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 11:12:12 +0200, Hans Schneidhofer wrote:
>how can I forbid the installation of pulseaudio in any additional
>package ?

sudo -i
apt update && apt install equivs
equivs-control pulseaudio
nano pulseaudio # Edit the file similar to [1]
equivs-build
dpkg -i pulseaudio*deb

More information:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html

>pulseaudio is hidden behind some other libs etc.

Then the command line or the synaptic GUI does show what dependencies
get installed. Simply read what packages get installed, before you
confirm to install them. However, it's safe to use an empty dummy
package. OTOH there usually is no need to install such a dummy package,
since pulseaudio much likely isn't required, perhaps just an optional
dependency (recommended or suggested).

FWIW in the future Firefox will drop ALSA support completely and
requires pulseaudio. At the moment upstream's default is already to
compile without ALSA support, just package maintainers might still
compile with ALSA enabled.

Consider to build and install http://github.com/i-rinat/apulse if
you should use Firefox in the future without pulseaudio installed. This
should work for skype, too, but I only tested it with Firefox, so I
only can confirm that it will work with Firefox compiled without ALSA
support and a RME HDSPe AIO.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$
cat /mnt/moonstudio/usr/src/dummies/pulseaudio Priority: optional
Standards-Version: 3.9.2

Package: pulseaudio
Version: 2016:07-13-moonstudio
Maintainer: Weremouse <silver.bullet at zoho.com>