[ubuntu-studio-users] Final release - was: Testers wanted

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Nov 18 21:03:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 11:20:37 +0100, Chris Allison
<chris.charles.allison at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> Works fine here, nice script, thanks
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

I wrote it, because I want to test several Ubuntu desktop flavours and use
one live media, for rescue and backup purpose. So instead of going through
all the checksum validation manually each time I download another flavour,
I decided to write the script.

FWIW the Ubuntu I actually installed is from the sever media, with all
package bundles unchecked and a tailored install with openbox, the lxde
window manager and fbpanel and lxpanel. Until now I tested Lubuntu. I
can't recommend it, it's better to install LXDE independent of Lubuntu. I
also tested Ubuntu-Mate and I can strongly recommend it, just disabling
compositing and special effects is wise. For my taste gvfs and pulseaudio
needs to be removed and changing the default theme is required, but apart
 from this it's quite usable. If I would use Mate for my install, I also
would replace the file manager with spacefm, but the default GUI editor,
pluma anyway is my favourite GUI editor and while I'm not that much a GUI
user, even the GUI to handle archives is a better choice than file-roller,
it's engrampa, quasi file-roller with a menu bar. I don't understand why
Ubuntu Studio and Lubuntu tend to provide a mix of classic menu bar and
normal window title bar apps and GNOME apps without a menu bar and window
title bars that break the theme.

Regards,
Ralf