[ubuntu-studio-users] Default sound settings

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Nov 3 13:48:39 UTC 2016

Hi,

get the driver name of that device by lshw like this

ubuntu-mate at ubuntu-mate:~$ sudo lshw -C sound | grep driver
  configuration: driver=snd_hdspm latency=0
  configuration: driver=snd-usb-audio maxpower=100mA speed=12Mbit/s

On my machine the wanted sound card's driver is snd_hdspm.

Then generate a file, resp. add to an existing file, that ensures that
the wanted sound card always is hw:0 after startup. The below commands
first tries to make a copy, assuming /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
should already exist.

ubuntu-mate at ubuntu-mate:~$ sudo -i
root at ubuntu-mate:~# cp -ai /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf /root/alsa-base.conf.backup
root at ubuntu-mate:~# echo "options snd slots=snd_hdspm" >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Just replace snd_hdspm with your driver. On my machine this does cause
that the device that belongs to the driver snd_hdspm is always hw:0 and
the other device becomes hw:1.

This might solve your issue, if not you simply could delete the file or
replace a file that already existed with the backup.

Regards,
Ralf