[ubuntu-studio-users] Newbie question: Upgrading Ubuntu Studio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 29 00:09:24 UTC 2016

On Sun, 29 May 2016 00:37:34 +0200, Paul King wrote:
>When I run do-release-upgrade, I get:
>
>sudo do-release-upgrade
>Checking for a new Ubuntu release
>No new release found

Ubuntu LTS release upgrades happen with the first dot release, IOW by
default no upgrade to 16.04 will happen, the upgrade could be done as
soon as 16.04.01 is released.

>And when I try out sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

  sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

is the everyday procedure to upgarde packages within a release,
"dist-upgrade" indeed is a "smart" upgrade, since other than
"upgrade" it tries to handle dependencies conflicts, however, both,
"upgrade" and "dist-upgrade" are using the repositories available
by /etc/apt/sources.list. This file contains the repositories for the
release you are running, to upgrade to the next release with
"dist-upgrade", you would need to replace the old repositories, by the
repositories for the next release. You don't need to do this by running
"do-release-upgrade".

If you would check ...

  [root at moonstudio ~]# do-release-upgrade -c
  Checking for a new Ubuntu release
  New release '16.04 LTS' available.
  Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

... you could see that the release is available.
You're likely running an LTS, if not, you could upgrade ...

  [root at moonstudio ~]# do-release-upgrade
  Checking for a new Ubuntu release
  Get:1 Upgrade tool signature [198 B]
  Get:2 Upgrade tool [1265 kB]
  Fetched 1265 kB in 0s (0 B/s)
  authenticate 'xenial.tar.gz' against 'xenial.tar.gz.gpg'
  extracting 'xenial.tar.gz'
  /var/run/utmp: No such file or directory
  [screen is terminating]

... I interrupted the upgrade, since I'll stay with

  [root at moonstudio ~]# lsb_release -rc
  Release:	15.10
  Codename:	wily

You could upgarde your LTS right now, by faking to upgrade to a
development version

  sudo do-release-upgrade -d

I guess the output of

  grep Prompt /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades

must be either

  Prompt=normal

or

  Prompt=lts