[ubuntu-studio-users] Problem installing 16.04 LTS

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue May 3 06:33:15 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 3, 2016, at 08:13 AM, Alex Armani wrote:
> Howdy folks, got a problem with 16.04 LTS. I had the same problem with
> the beta about a month ago, as the release versiion. With the beta, I put
> it on a 16 gig USB hard drive. For the release I burnt a dvd.
>
> What I am finding, is that right at the end of the install I get an
> error. Will try again with a USB hard drive and report on the exact error
> message. When I reboot the Laptop, it goes straight into Windows 10 Home.
> How ever, if I press F12 during boot up, and choose to boot off the Linux
> partition, and I have a dvd in the drive, or a usb hard drive with 16.04
> on then it boots up into the installed Linux and is ok. Is this an EUFI
> issuse?
>  perhaps? I have absolutely no knowledge about UEFI....
>
> aha, tia frim Alex & 0L1K, Le Chat Noir.
>
> From: Alex@ Armani.PM

UEFI works differently, yes. Usually there is both UEFI mode and legacy
(BIOS) mode available. But, you should be able to use UEFI only - from
what it seems. Just go into the UEFI settings, and make the Ubuntu
Studio installation boot before Windows. With UEFI, you don't select
which hard drive to boot from - you select which OS.
Also, you should be able to get into your computer system settings from
GRUB (there's usually an option at the bottom) - if there's not, perhaps
you did not install it in UEFI mode.

You can read more about UEFI here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI