[ubuntu-studio-users] Trying to make a mic-midi trigger with julius or other voice recognition

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Wed Mar 30 19:41:31 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016, at 09:16 PM, Pietro Bergamo wrote:
> Hi, Roy.Do you know Pure Data? I think it would be quite easy to make a
> patch to do that.If you are not familiar with it, it may take you some
> time to learn how to use it, though.Cheers,Pietro
(snip)
> maybe chant a little. I make music with UbuntuStudio and would like to
> use this mic just for triggering an osc/midi or rather just calling  a
> bash script with it - command. If some voicerecognizing software could
> just call a bash script than my new dream could come tru. I just don't
> want to reínvent wheels on this.
>
> I bet there is at least someone here who can show me some tricks. I don't
> need voxforge for this,. just the basic tool (julius so far) and i have
> it installed correctly for testing. Also i'm reading the help but it's
> still a forrest with a lot of trees to me. I hope someone can help.
>

> Best regards from happy Ubuntero since 2004,
>

> Roy Damen

I agree. Puredata is a good tool for setting up either triggering or
pitch detection, and then routing that to midi or osc.

Puredata does have a bit of a learning curve, but if you are
disciplined, you should get what you need in a matter of a day or two,
in order to translate pitch or dynamics into midi.

Check out some basic tutorials on youtube. Then, when you know what an
"object" is, check out:

* bonk~ (attack detector)
* sigmund~ pitch tracker)
* noteout (midi notes out)
* ctlout (midi control out)

You also need to understand how to change puredata preferences. Usually,
it is best to use arguments when starting puredata, rather than using
saved configs, in my experience.

As for osc, that is a bit more complicated. With midi, the steps
required are so few, that for me who knows puredata, it would only take
1-5 minutes to set something up. I highly recommend puredata, for its
flexibility and efficiency.

Voice recognition is possible, but I don't know who does that. And, I
haven't heard of any libraries for that.