[ubuntu-studio-users] Upgrading offers only 15.x :-(

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jun 30 09:06:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 14:53:01 -0400, Lawrence H. Bulk wrote:
>You are correct that some ISPs throttle torrent speed downloads. But
>mine doesn't and I believe that most ISPs will not do this, especially
>as the torrent site used for Ubuntu Studio is not a known
>"file-sharing" site. Using a torrent is worth a try. If you find it to
>be slow, you can always cancel the download and just go back to a
>regular mirror site.

ISPs use Deep Packet Inspection.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 13:43:21 +0800, Roberto Verzola wrote:
>It says "the sites are believed to be..." So maybe, but maybe not.

They give detailed information that is beyond believing. It's not
necessarily clear on what stage the traffic gets shaped, but it most
likely gets shaped. Yo spread doubt, without giving any evidence for
that doubt.

Regarding the topic you also recommended against

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/installing-upgrading.html

Please, underpin why the OP should first upgrade to the non LTS and
then to the LTS?

>The best way to know for sure is to try. I tried and torrent works
>much better for me.
>
>I find it hard to believe the assertion about minority/majority... It
>implies that you actually counted.

This claim is absolutely nonsense, it just implies that I get
information from somewhere.

There are tons of sources, some might be false others might be true,
the averaged claim is similar to this one:

https://torrentfreak.com/is-your-isp-messing-with-bittorrent-traffic-find-out-140123/

I just didn't provide more information, since it's off-topic and I
don't want to provide more off-topic information.

Again, it's off-topic, lets stay with the topic, since some users
really use the mailing list archive to get help and it's not good if
they have doubts what to do, to upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04.

IMO the Ubuntu Studio FAQ should answer this, but at the moment they
don't and editing Ubuntu help pages became a PITA, so I send a request
to the Ubuntu Studio devel list. Hopefully next time somebody wants to
know how to upgrade to 16.04 or 16.04.x we simply can reply by posing a
link to the Ubuntu Studio FAQ and avoid off-topic discussions and/or
different opinions that make it unclear what to do.

Regards,
Ralf