[ubuntu-studio-users] Upgrading offers only 15.x :-(

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jun 29 13:49:57 UTC 2016

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 15:37:08 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 09:18:10 -0400, Lawrence H. Bulk wrote:
>>(On July 21, it will be much faster if you download the new
>>release via a Torrent.)
>
>Some ISPs throttle speed for torrent usage. Using torrent could slow
>down a download very much.
>
>>I also make a list of all of my extra installed programs
>
>The package management provides tools to make such lists.
>
>Consider to read all follow-ups of
>https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2016-May/285271.html
>since there are several ways to get such a list, with pros and cons
>depending to the way you set up your install.
>
>Also be aware that 14.04 does use another init system, than 16.04 LTS
>does, so at least expect that there could be some changes. Also keep in
>mind that some software might have changed a lot within the last years
>and it might automatically convert data for usage with the new
>releases, but can't convert the data back for usage with old versions.

PS:

JFTR there are several pitfalls caused by lists, e.g. some software
might be split to more packages, than it was split by an older Ubuntu
release and the new packages might have become suggested and not
recommended packages, so some functionality of software could only be
available, if the user cares about it. Reading release notes of
the most important software doesn't harm.