[ubuntu-studio-users] New subscriber-- help needed!

brian at linuxsynths.com brian at linuxsynths.com
Wed Jun 22 18:11:48 UTC 2016

Hi Thomas,

I already installed and ran the .sh file. I rebooted
and tried VLC but the video was distorted.

A strange sidenote: when I
tried with Xine, it gave an error that it "couldn't increase the nice
value by 1". As this computer is setup for realtime audio production,
perhaps there is a problem somewhere with priorities..??

brian

On
Wed, 22 Jun 2016 19:59:31 +0200, Thomas Pfundt wrote:

> Hi Brian,

my spontaneous guess would be that you haven't installed libdvdread yet,
try executing the following in a terminal:

> sudo apt-get install
libdvdread4

> sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Also, restart VLC after that and tell me if it worked?

> Regards,

Thomas

> On 22.06.2016 19:40, brian at linuxsynths.com [1] wrote:

Hi everyone,

>> I have a laptop with Ubuntu Studio (15.04, iirc)
installed. Although I use this pc primarily for music (low latency
kernel, etc), I wanted to watch some (commercial) DVDs. But I have had
problems and although I have installed the Ubuntu-restricted-extras
package, I cannot get a DVD to work right (I prefer using SMplayer,
although I also tried with VLC, Xine, and another called "Video").

>> Any help appreciated, as this is a bit urgent, unfortunately.
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> brian

Links:
------