[ubuntu-studio-users] Kernel updates not giving me a GUI

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Wed Feb 3 11:07:38 UTC 2016

When I update my kernel and then log in with the new kernel, I do not
get a GUI at all, just a log in at the command line interface.

I am using Ubuntu Studio 14.04, and updating with the Software Updater
whatever new kernels it gives me.

The kernel I am using ends in 66, and all kernels since then have failed
to load the GUI for me, i.e. 68, 74, 76, 77.

Is there a way to use the latest kernels and still get a GUI, or is
there a problem with my Ubuntu Studio that needs fixing?

David King