[ubuntu-studio-users] aarrgghh

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Dec 7 09:11:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 23:37:37 -0800, Charlie wrote:
>I'm getting so tired of the software center crashing and closing by
>itself. I can't even download a piece of software I need to make
>business cards. Can somebody please fix this? It's really getting on
>my nerves. Thanks!

You didn't mention what Ubuntu Studio release you're using.

  lsb_release -d

does show the release. Many people using a GUI to install from
repositories, are using synaptic.

  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install synaptic

I don't know if software-center provides to install from other
sources, too, or if it does use the official repositories only.

Consider to run software-center from command line to provide more
information about what's going on, when it crashes, at least describe a
situation when it crashed. AFAIK Ubuntu provides different versions of
software-center.

Launching software center from command line

  sudo software-center

assuming Ubuntu Studio does use this version.

Available versions:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=software+center&searchon=names&suite=yakkety&section=all

On newer Ubuntu releases apt-get and a few other commands are provided
by apt, to make command line more user friendly, perhaps you won't use
a GUI anymore, but switch to apt.

A good package search engine for the Internet browser is provided by

http://packages.ubuntu.com/

How to report a bug the Ubuntu way (I dislike it):

https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ubuntu+report+a+bug

At least the Ubuntu Studio bug tracker could be used directly, without
issues, last time I used it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntustudio

Regards,
Ralf

--
Marge Simpson: We used to call ourselves the Cool Moms.

Bart Simpson: There is nothing cooler than calling yourself cool.