[ubuntu-studio-users] Python 3 daemon

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 21 08:53:02 UTC 2016

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 10:27:08 +0200, brian at linuxsynths.com wrote:
>I find that python 3 regularly runs a background daemon that's using
>cpu more than I like. It's the usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index
>daemon.
>
>Is there a way to stop this or make it run at fewer intervals?

Hi,

I don't know, didn't you get any information by Internet research,
e.g. from the Ubuntu Wiki?

Do you need this tool?

I didn't install it.

  [weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ lsb_release -rc
  Release:	16.04
  Codename:	xenial
  [weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ ls -l /usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index
  ls: cannot access '/usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index': No such file or directory
  [weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ dpkg -l apt-xapian-index
  ||/ Name                   Version          Architecture     Description
  +++-======================-================-================-=================================================
  un  apt-xapian-index       <none>           <none>           (no description available)

If you shouldn't find out how to solve the issue, consider to purge the
package.

Regarding the Ubuntu package search, it's a recommended dependency of
software-center.

  http://packages.ubuntu.com/yakkety/software-center

For synaptic it's just a suggested dependency.

  http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/synaptic

I'm using command line only, but if I would use a GUI, then it
would be synaptic.

However, as long as no other package should depend on apt-xapian-index,
you could purge it, recommended and suggested dependencies aren't
needed.

Run

  sudo apt purge software-center && sudo apt autoremove

to get rid of it.

Regards,
Ralf