[ubuntu-studio-users] No Sound When Using HDMI

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 17:16:43 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Cyril Giraud <cgiraud at free.fr> wrote:

> Le 25/07/2015 19:03, Mike Holstein a écrit :
>

>> On Saturday, July 25, 2015, David Paulson <david.bluefuzion at gmail.com
>> <mailto:david.bluefuzion at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     I have a surround system that I would like to be able to use with
>>     Hydrogen.
>>
>>     On first boot into Ubuntu Studio the audio works, and I hear it
>>     threw the surround system. I can open a web browser and play sounds.
>>
>>     So then I open up Hydrogen and play a sound, but I can't hear it.
>>
>>     In the past I used my on board sound as a monitor, using same
>>     hardware and every thing worked.
>>
>>     What do I have to do to get the monitor to be on the HDMI?
>>
>>     HDMI(OUT)>>>>>>>>(IN)Sound_System(OUT)>>>>>>>>>>>>TV
>>
>>       PC    Sound System TV
>>
>>     --
>>     David P.
>>

>> I would check in my settings for hydrogen, and make sure that it's set
>> to use pulseaudio. Then I would install, if I don't already have it,
>> pavucontrol. With that tool, you should be able to route hydrogen to the
>> output of your choice.
>>

>> --
>> MH
>>

> Hello,
>
> I've got a similar problem:
> - no sound with VLC selecting HDMI for sound playback (and ok for internal
> speakers)
> - no sound with Hydrogen + pulseaudo + pavucontrol (and ok for internal
> speakers)
>
> PC Lenovo G50 and UbuntuStudio 15.04 x64.
>
> Any idea?

sure.. i would get a *known* good audio file.. one of your reference files,
for example, something like a simple and well supported *ogg that you know
works. then, i would try and remove as much of the clutter from these
scenarios as possible, and test each part, as independently as possible.

first, close jack, and dont open it, or start it, or, start *anything* that
would try and autostart it in the background until you see that the audio
device you are trying to use supports linux as you need it to.. for
example, does the HDMI port support linux at all? will it work? or does it
work with linux? i would get my known-good audio file playing with
something simple, such as VLC *not* using the jack driver, and use
pavucontrol to route the signal to the different outputs of the device. if
i cant make VLC play an ogg file through the HDMI output using pavucontrol
to route the signal, then, there really is no need to try JACK with any of
the pro-audio tools..

so, does your HDMI audio output support linux? thats the first question i
would answer. and, since the company you bought the hardware from likely
promise you support for windows, and paid a team of professionals to test
and facilitate that windows support, they likely didnt do the same for
linux. in this case, it'll be up to you to provide support for it, if alsa
and the linux kernel can do so..

suggestions:

no need to be in the niche support venue of ubuntustudio for this,
necessarily. you can use the main ubuntu support, or, more general linux
support avenues, which may have more users in them.

try many different live ISO's and see what different kernels and alsa
versions do on the hardware, and if the hardware supports them better.. you
can note what kernel and alsa versions the hardware support (if any), and
that can help you provide support in your current installation of
ubuntustudio.

use the general audio troubleshooting pages for ubuntu
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio

share what hardware you are using... hardware revisions, specifically.. for
example, if i google search the lenovo G50, all lenovo has to do is provide
windows drivers for all hardware they create and release under that model
name. there can be many different chipsets and chipset revisions under the
same model name..

look for *anyone* using the same hardware chipset and HDMI output on any
linux distro, and see if they talk about how that works for them on a
forum, etc..

cheers, and good luck

>         Cyril.

MH