[ubuntu-studio-users] Creating a Windows VM Inside Ubuntu

set public at sakrecoer.com
Tue Nov 3 19:27:38 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-03 19:52, argumento wrote:
> There's a way of exporting (not saving) GIMP files to CMYK, it's a plug
> in called separate+. Also, Krita manages CMYK in a very professional
> fashion, I've printed flyers that were color managed in krita and the
> result was flawless.

That is GREAT! i had no idea krita managed this! By opening any file, it
seems i can convert them to CMYK in Image>Properties and then saving
them to TIFF! :)

> Truth being said, Adobe's CMYK color profile is an industry standard, as
> the Post Script technology was developed by Adobe. I would think that
> using Pantone (also a closed, proprietary standard, therefore not
> available in GIMP or Krita) is a bigger issue than CMYK. Anyway,
> professional offset printing of files made with FLOSS is possible,
> cumbersome if compared with Adobe's way of color managing, but possible
> under professional standards none the less.

Panton is indeed problematic. Since i've never had to use them in a
situation with more then 3 colors, I've bypassed this with illustrations
including gradients or photos by using the color channels and telling
the printer what color is supposed to be which panton-swatch. But then
again, in this scenario what you see on the screen is not the printed
result and it is risky when the communication is not optimal with the
printer.

I should try to skip the photolito next time. :)
argumento: How do you calibrate your screen and printer to be accurate
against the standard? I usually show my clients the demo prints coming
from my own printer, before we put into production. And this is why i go
to the photolitho, i want the photolitho to make sure the image comes
out like the client saw it come out from my printer. How do you proceed
with this, if i may ask?

Yours,
Set