[ubuntu-studio-users] Creating a Windows VM Inside Ubuntu

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Nov 3 10:09:58 UTC 2015

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 10:41:09 +0100, set wrote:
>On 2015-11-03 01:07, argumento wrote:
>> Having said that, I don't think a moral or preachy approach to
>> convince ppl of the power of Free and open Source software is
>> useful, the best result's I've had is just showing off how much fun
>> is the software and how many things you can do on Linux. I don't
>> think Adobe tools or windows compatible games are a good reason to
>> stay in Windows (or Mac), but sometimes it's hard to convince ppl,
>> more so when they cling to what they are familiar with. So, where
>> I'm going with this? I think that we just need to act cool and show
>> around what we do with Ubuntu Studio and that that's argument
>> enough.
>
>Sorry if i came off preachy, I thought i wrote the exact same thing as
>you, except i don't know anything about games and virtualboxes.
>But language is tricky. :)
>
>However, i ment to say that teaching how the tools work is a great way
>to show what ubuntustudio can do. And in my experience, getting down on
>a open OS and replacing the open tools with a virtual instances of
>another but closed OS, is vowed to give problems.
>
>It's a fine line between being enthusiastic about your tools, and
>preaching for them i guess. It's good however, to have reminders that
>the preachy path is a bit an ineffective one.
>
>Have a good day y'all!

FWIW the OP is not interested to discuss it (neither subscribed to an
Ubuntu Studio mailing list ;), but I guess this must be ignored, since
Adobe is the devil + much of the Adobe software could be replaced
without loss of tools needed by professionals. The situation for
graphic tools is much better than for video and audio. However, running
the missing professional tools for audio and video won't work in a VM
and I doubt it would work for high speed 3D games.

Printing companies might require formats that aren't available by
Linux, but creation of graphics with GIMP is as good as with PhotoShop.
Professional cartoonists confirm this, they are just used to a version
of PhotoShop, so usually they don't want to upgrade PhotoShop, let alone
to migrate to GIMP. At best they migrate from Apple to Microsoft, but
they do not migrate to Linux.

However, if somebody wants to migrate from Apple or Microsoft to
Linux, than it's grotesque to run software as a VM guest, that can be
replaced by Linux software.

Some software requires a dual or multi boot, just a few software does
run using wine or it makes sense to run it as guest in a VM.
Since Adobe software usually can be replaced by Linux software, it
makes no sense to migrate to Linux and then to run this Adobe software
in a VM.

Regards,
Ralf