[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu 14.04 ---> 14.10

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu May 28 09:07:52 UTC 2015

On Thu, 28 May 2015 09:50:43 +0200, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
>Disabling the PPAs after completing an upgrade (which the user might
>have done succesfully, or might not have) could do just as much harm as
>good. Disabling them will not remove software from your system after
>doing a standard update. It will however stop you from updating any
>faulty packages that you got from the PPA last time.

The OP should disable PPAs before updating, so at least newer versions
of core components from the official repositories will replace outdated
core components from official and PPA repositories by the new versions
from the official repositories. If the OP already has got versions
installed from a PPA that are newer than those from of official
repositories, then the OP needs to reinstall core components while the
PPAs are disabled. In my first mail I mentioned that disabling PPAs has
to be done before running the apt commands.

Since the OP already made an upgrade to a new release, PPAs already
might have caused issues, so to help the OP, we need to wait for posted
messages, the OP gets when trying to follow your and/or my advices.
However, disabling PPAs is needed, otherwise we might be unable to help
the OP.

Assumed the OP already should have installed a broken kernel from a PPA
that is newer then the official kernel, then the OP needs to reinstall
the meta packages for the kernel the OP does use, e.g.
linux-lowlatency
linux-headers-lowlatency
or what ever the OP is using. There might be the need to care about
other core components too. If applications are broken is unimportant at
the moment, first we need to get rid of the kernel panic.

The OP should consider to backup the broken install before tryinmg to
fix it!
--
It only looks like a tape-recorder. It's actually a pen.
So you can write with it and no one will know.