[ubuntu-studio-users] looking for a secure and private linux distro, with the following . . .

Alf Haakon Lund alf at mellomrommet.no
Fri Jun 26 10:19:55 UTC 2015

Hi Rick, Welcome to the linux world!

> Well, after the Windows 10 icon pops up, telling me to upgrade . . .
> I started thinking, I not going to pay a subscription fee to MS.. heck no.

Be aware that there is an expectancy of payment in the linux society as
well.

Not necessarily in economic terms, though many software creators ask for
donations or encourage subscriptions, bughunting or other contributions.

But you have to pay with your time. If running windows compares to
driving a Volvo, running Linux might compare to driving a scooter, a
racing car or a digging machine - all depending on your needs and
wishes. In any case, expect a learning curve and make sure you've got
some time to invest.

If you do, then try some of the USB live distros available. Many meet
some or most of your requirements (those regarding privacy and security
will mostly be the responsibility of the user on ANY system), but they
look and feel very different.

Good luck, and let us know your decision. I'm curious!

Al F