[ubuntu-studio-users] HDMI problems with Popcorn Time

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 14:36:01 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 4:59 AM, Anderson <veganderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I get audio noise when watching PopCorn Time on my TV connected to my
> laptop on HDMI.
>
> The same doesn't happen when using Popcorn Time through HDMI in Windows in
> the same computer.
>
> It's also no problem to watch YouTube, for example, even in Linux through
> HDMI.
>
> Speakers and earphones work fine. I only get problems with HDMI in Linux
> and in Popcorn Time.
>
> Has anyone had similar problems? Any suggestions?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 LTS.
>
> Thanks in advance!

one would think that a "buzz" or "hum" would be from actual hardware
connections, and not have much to do with the software/drivers.. so, what i
might do is, get the noise happening, via hdmi, then, i would open
alsamixer, and enable *all* controls, and try tweaking settings there,
thinking that, maybe a loop is being created somehow, where, a noise is
being introduced, though, i think that is not likely. it could be as simple
as the device not providing good linux support. what i might do is simply
check for, and apply any updates available, then, i would try different
live iso's. live iso's allow an easy way to try hardware with different
kernels/drivers and alsa versions. i would unplug everything but the HDMI
from the machine, and test.. and also, consider recording it, so that a
volunteer could try and identify the sound as a ground loop, or a hard
drive/fan noise, etc.. cheers

MH

likethecow.com