[ubuntu-studio-users] Need advice/help with Qjackctl and some other related programs it supports

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jun 10 13:21:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 13:48:38 +0100, stephen wrote:
>I have not yet tried changing midi channels and have no idea, as yet,
>how to do it. Though, I had guessed that might have something to do
>with it. Please explain. What I need is for Rosegarden to send two
>different tracks from a single midi file to two instances of VMPK
>simultaneously. At the moment, I cannot get that to happen. My
>external midi keyboard controllers are not the problem in that they
>are running okay with Qsynth.

I needed to install vmpk on my machine ;).

Ok, on my machine vmpk provides MIDI channel settings on top, below the
menu bar. You can select from channel 1 to 16 by mouse clicks on the
arrows.

The F1-Key opens the help, maybe you want to read "Keyboard maps and
instrument definitions" and other paragraphs.

I'm not a Rosegarden user, however it has got manuals too:

"To change the instrument assignment for a track, right-click on the
track label: a pop-up menu will appear from which you can select among
all the available instruments.

Rosegarden's Instrument menu

An instrument can be understood as a single channel on a MIDI device,
or as a mono or stereo audio output or an audio synth plugin." -
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/doc:manual-en

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/resources/

Qsynth provides a button called "Channels", but more important, it
provides a button named "+" on the left bottom corner, if you push it, a
menu to open a new engine appears, were you can select the MIDI receive
channel for this engine. Also care about the "Setup..." button.