[ubuntu-studio-users] compatibility of motherboards with Ubuntu 14.04

Flaggmann mashfiend at gmx.com
Mon Jun 1 19:50:02 UTC 2015

I have refurbished 9 machines over the past few years as it is cheaper
than buying new I find, for what I do.

I find intel mobo's are coolest and thus quietest running for one thing.
I have used all three i3, i5 and i7 versions with no problems with any
of them.

i5 and i7 you need to have a separate display adapter card as well but
i3 has built in on board display adapter. Also some i3's will support
multiple displays in cloned and/or extended configuration where as
others don't. You need to check the mobo specs on the mfr's spec sheet
provided online to determine if your specific i3 will do what you want
to with respect to displays.

It is the same with RAM memory capacities. although they all were 64 bit
hardware CPU's capable of max memory availability the hardware design of
the mobo also restricts tha max useable memory that the board is capable
of. Again check the spec sheets on the mfrs tech support web page for
that mobo.

One might assume because you have 4 slots and 4 16GB RAM sticks
installed in a 64 bit mobo that you could make use of 64 GB of RAM but a
check of the mobo spec might show that it has a max of only 16GB or 32GB
of RAM so buying any extra is in the least problem manner a waste of
money and in the greatest problem may not work at all with the max 16 GB
sticks installed.

I bought a new PC some years back, it had an i3 mobo but max memory was
only 8GB for that mobo so when I upgraded to 6 GB I discovered that max
RAM fact 1st and 2nd also discovered that system was faulty from the
outset and couldn't run on any more than 4 GB of RAM. In short I had to
swap out the hard drive configured with Mint 17 as the video editor and
production w/s to another i3 with MAX RAM of 16GB and I replaced it's HD
with the ubuntu linux w/s hard drive. Only time was the actual swapping
of the hardware involved. Linux booted up recognized all the changes and
fired up no problem in both PC's.

I have two i3's running with 3 displays configured for each 2 monitors
and one large LED HD TV 1920 x 1080p all work well with the internal
display adapter although in the Mint 17 case I have to keep running
arandr to enable all three on reboots.

I also have an i7 with standard NIC card as well as on board wireless
NIC but have to use a separate display adapter because the i7 doesn't
have on board display. all machines are 64 bit and I have used ubuntu,
ubuntu studio, Mint, debian and Centos/Fedora without any big hiccups
with them. Being Intel they are all nice and quiet and cooler running.

I have one AMD and the fan running on it is so loud I can hear it all
over the house. It also runs quite warm by comparison; Ok in winter but
need AC running if I use it in summer.

I am not a gamer but the video/photo editing does demand a fair bit of
resources so I usually use gamer specs and they have suited my purposes
well.

Hope this helps.
cheers & good luck