[ubuntu-studio-users] compatibility of motherboards with Ubuntu 14.04

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 15:50:17 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 2:00 AM, Donald Campton <donald_llolyd at bigpond.com>
wrote:

> G'day all .
> I am not a top hand with Linux but I have been using it for a few years
> now, I am wanting to upgrade my mother board to a new one.
> Ok easy  you say , but not so , I find a lot are not compatible with
> Ubuntu 14.04 or below.
> I am at a loss to buy one that I cannot use as a dedicated Ubuntu desk top
> machine.
> Could any one Please tell me how to find a board Gaming or work station
> abilities. I am at the point of saying to hell with it and buy a board and
> if it is not compatible commit suicide and go with windows and go bald
> pulling my hair, out with frustration.
> hope you can help me.
> my regards Donald .

ideally, it will be the manufacturer of the hardware that promises linux
support.. nothing about linux/ubuntu prevents support for *any* hardware.
we dont block support for anything, and its all completely open.

some facts that may help:

if you buy a motherboard, if the manufacturer promises windows support,
then, if they change something, they provide windows drivers, and they have
fulfilled the agreement they promise. what does this mean? it mean, *if* i
have a motherboard, lets say, a certain asus motherboard, and i report to
you "it works perfect in linux" and you buy that *exact* same model, what
can, and often does happen is, the actual chipsets can change on that same
model hardware. you'll see "rev2, rev 3.2" etc.. this can make it
challenging to maintain a list of promised working linux hardware. and,
nothing is "broken" to be fixed, since, the manufacturers are always
welcome to provide either linux support to you, or, the information for
linux developers to support it in the modular kernel.

in the future, your hard drive *will* fail, as will all.. so, i say, go
ahead and plan for that, and backup your system, and/or important files..
plan for that drive failing, and you'll be able to more easily migrate to
the new hardware if that hard drive doesnt "just work" when you plug it in
on the new motherboard

i have changed motherboards quite a few times, and, as long as im aware of
the GPU drivers, and do not leave a proprietary nvidia driver installed,
and configured on a system that im expecting to move to an integrated intel
GPU, i have literally had no issues. i have ran into unsupported NIC's,
but, always found acceptable work arounds..

anyways, i say, go for the price and the features you want in a
motherboard, and make sure you can return it, if the creators of it dont
explicitly promise linux support.. it really shouldnt be a problem these
days, where most hardware does have at least some level of support for
modern linux kernels..

cheers and good luck

MH

likethecow.com