[ubuntu-studio-users] Introduction & Installation problem

agents4jesus at gmail.com agents4jesus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 03:31:54 UTC 2015

Hi,

My name is Tony Bienstocke (pseudonym), and I really enjoy using Linux. Recently, I discovered Ubuntu Studio and have been trying to install it. (More on this in a paragraph or so)

I am trying to possibly get into the publishing industry or the movie industry, and I thought that I could whet my appetite with Ubuntu Studio. I do have a bit of Linux knowledge, and I hope this will increase it. And hopefully, I’ll be able to contribute to this community as well.

The only problem is I’ve had trouble installing it on my PC, so I have two questions.

What is the username for the “Other…” account in the live cd (in this case, USB)? I tried “Try Ubuntu Studio without making changes to your PC” and also the “Install Ubuntu Studio” and the OEM install. All three of them ask for a username and password of the “Other….” account. I tried “ubuntu” without a password, then “ubuntu” with that as it's password also, and it doesn't let me in. Personally, I think this needs to be changed where there is no login for the live usb/dvd. But in the meantime, what’s the creds for logging in? I googled around, but I couldn’t find anything.

I have a PC running Win8.1 and I want to dual boot with Ubuntu Studio on another partition. The only think that is making me wary is that I’ve read that UEFI, Windows Boot Loader, and some other things can conflict with the installation of Ubuntu Studio (or just Linux in general) and it's own bootloader. What do I need to be wary of? I’ve turned off fast startup, and I’ve also turned off Windows To Go. I am unable to turn off the Secure Boot, but the live USB seems to boot up fine. (I can’t log in, as you already know). Are there any guidelines or tips or even a step by step that someone could provide me?

Thanks,

Tony