[ubuntu-studio-users] Why was 14.10 only supported for 9 months? Best one yet.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Feb 6 08:48:55 UTC 2015

On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 09:26:06 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>It's hard to strike a balance regarding the different available release
>models. What distro I prefer, regarding the release model and
>regarding the user-friendly vs user-centric approach does change from
>time to time. However, if you (the OP) are pleased with 14.10 regarding
>art production, you could stay with it forever. For Internet security
>you could install another Linux and dual-boot. Perhaps chroot one Linux
>by the other is secure too, if so, there even wouldn't be the need to
>reboot.

https://securityblog.redhat.com/2013/03/27/is-chroot-a-security-feature/
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-nspawn.html

I guess this is not a solution and at least for real-time audio a
virtual machine isn't a solution either. I suspect dual/multi-boot is
the only way to go. Maybe somebody will chime in, who has more knowledge
about chroot, systemd-nspawn and virtual machines. Perhaps Linux does
provide something similar to FreeBSD jails?

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails.html

Regards,
Ralf