[ubuntu-studio-users] CPU and mobo

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 17 21:22:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

ASAP I need to buy a new mobo, so most likely a new CPU and RAM too. It must be cheap and provide PCIe for audio and PCI for at least one additional sound card used for MIDI. In the low cost price range my favored dealer seems to provide ASRock, ASUS and Gigabyte that fulfill these requirements. Is one of those vendors known to be better or less good in the low price range than the others or is it better to chose another vendor?

Regarding issues old AMD CPUs relatively often had with new rt kernels, I suspect an Intel CPU could be the better choice. Are there any of the cheaper AMD or Intel CPUs known to cause issues for audio and MIDI work, resp. known to work flawlessly?

Is there something to consider regarding UEFI? I don't need it and I wonder if it could be disabled for all new mobos.

Send from my iPad, since my LINUX PC is gone to the happy hunting grounds.

Regards,
Ralf