[ubuntu-studio-users] No sound during video playback

leo leokn at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 05:47:31 UTC 2014

I've run into reoccurring no sound problems the past few months.
I'm running Ubuntu Studio LTS 12.04.5 64 bit

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:34 PM, David King <linuxman at avoura.com> wrote:

Thanks for your replies, sorry for not being more helpful so far.

I tried logging in as guest from a fresh boot, but guest user could
    not access any of the drives with videos in, nor could I mount them
    as sudo was not allowed.

Then I logged out and back in as my normal user account, and tried
    opening a video with Totem (the default video player) and it worked
    perfectly, with video and sound. I also tried with VLC and it
    worked. I also opened Rhythmbox and it played audio files okay.

So for no apparent reason it seems to have fixed itself without me
    actually doing anything other than logging in as guest before
    logging into my user account.

It could just be an intermittent problem of course.

David

On 19/09/14 17:09, Mike Holstein wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM, David King <linuxman at avoura.com> wrote:
>

>>Things are getting worse...
>>
>>Now I cannot play a video at all except in VLC, and it
                  still has no sound. In other players, it shows it as
                  playing but the progress slider remains in one place.
                  No clicking of play again does anything.

>how about as another user? the guest user, for example..
>
>Also, now in Firefox, videos have no sound -- although they did this morning, and I have not rebooted or logged out or anything like that.
>>
>>I have tried playing audio files in Rhythmbox, but
                  they will not play either, no movement of progress
                  slider and no sound output. The same goes for
                  Audacity, which I need for editing audio files.

>>According to sound settings that I looked at sound is
                  enabled and working.

>>I believe I am using Pulse Audio sound.
>

>dont "believe" anything.. are you using pulse? pulse ships with ubuntustudio.. also, JACK ships. if you start an audio application that requires JACK, and automatically tries to start JACK, this can cause issues with your "normal" audio. please reboot, and dont start *anything* other than just vlc, and test audio/video.. also, try as another user to, as i stated a few times, remove your users config from the equation..
>

>>David
>>

>>On 19/09/14 12:00, Alexander Panov wrote:
>>
>>Please check which sound server these programs use. It is written in a settings of every program.
>>>
>>>Then check sound server itself, or with GUI
                      instruments or from console.

>>>Third is to check processes on your computer, may
                      be someone else process steal output of your sound
                      server.

>>>You have ALSA or OSS on the back, in front you
                      will have Pulse or Jack...
>>>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sound_system
>>>
>>>And give us feedback hire!
>>>
>>>On 19.9.2014 г. 12:44 ч., David King wrote:
>>>e earlier, the loss of sound is in all video playback programs, except
                        playing videos from websites

                        called Videos) is not

                        on how to resolve it?

>>--

>MH
>
>likethecow.com

My no sounds (Internet, e.g., YouTube; Ardour playback; wav files playback) problem seems to occur after
  package manager updates. Which package updates appear to be the culprits, I don't know.
Also, sometimes after playing back files through softwares such as VLC, Audacious, and Audacity gives me the same resulting no sounds scenario.
In each case, why I don't know, I get my sounds back to normal by opening ...
  Applications Menu > Media Playback > PulseAudio Volume Control (PAVC) >Output Devices tab > Built-in Audio Analog Stereo
At that point, even though I can see the horizontal left and right volume displays moving along with whatever sound I'm playing, there is no audible sound.
Then I click the green button with white checkmark...and voila!!!! My sounds return right there and then.
I'd like to also point out that after clicking that button, it gets very slightly either light grey or darker grey and is extremely difficult which is which.
Hope this helps. ~Leo