[ubuntu-studio-users] No sound during video playback

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Mon Sep 15 09:43:02 UTC 2014

I am having a problem with getting sound from videos. It used to work
just fine, no problem, regardless of video format/codecs.

But since the last few days, when I play a video in the default video
player in Ubuntu Studio 14.04 there is no sound. Same goes for using VLC
and Xine. However, if I play it in UMPlayer, the sound works. Sound in
other applications, e.g. playing a video in Firefox, works perfectly, or
playing music in Rhythmbox, so I know my sound system is functioning.
But no more sound in some video playback, so what could cause that and
how would I fix that?

I am wondering if a recent update might have caused this.

David King