[ubuntu-studio-users] USB device order/naming

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Nov 10 20:15:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 20:59:33 +0100
Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 08:52 PM, Mike Holstein wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Thijs van severen <
> > thijsvanseveren at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > What is the recommended way to force a USB audio device to always
> > > use the same name ? (dev1, dev3..)
> > >

> > on my audio production rig, i disable the internal audio device in
> > the bios.. if that is an option for you, it will make the naming
> > consistent.. cheers!
> >

> There's a problem if you have usb midi devices or such. They will also
> be listed in the list of hardware.
> The simplest method is starting jack using the hw:<name>, instead of
> hw:<number>. qjacktl defaults to that these days, unless you use the
> "default" choice, which is the same as hw:0.

One of my hints was the same as Mike's hint. Perhaps the OP not only
wants to use the device with jack, but have it as a general default
hw:0 device. Anyway, disabling a crappy device is good for several
reasons, but not needed, if just one device always should become hw:0.

To /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf the OP could add

options snd slots=snd_usb_audio

that will make a single USB device always hw:0.

Yes, if the OP is using several USB devices it's not that easy.

As a side note, using USB for MIDI is very bad, much too much jitter
and depending to the kind of device, most likely no galvanic isolation.
Usage of opto-couplers is rendered useless, if ground is looped through.