[ubuntu-studio-users] Split DV files with timecode ?

laurent.bellegarde at free.fr laurent.bellegarde at free.fr
Sat May 24 18:52:37 UTC 2014

Hi Cyril,

Only two software in graphical gui can acquire dv files from a camera.

The first one is kino.
The second one is kdenlive.

Both are using dvgrab for the grab.

Openshot has no dv grabbing engine. This tool will not never be
developped because dv files users are fewer and fewer face to the mp4
AVCHD camera...

Cinelerra has one, but it doesn't work properly.

If you want to edit theses videos by using the original timecode, I
think that only cinelerra can do that. All Native Linux free video
editor can edit dv files, but without the timecode.

Maybe Lightworks can do it, but the software is not free, and you have
to buy the complete release to have all the main codecs supported.

Hope it helps.

Laurent