[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu Studio 13.10 ---> 14.04 (a question)

leo leokn at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 01:18:13 UTC 2014

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit on one of my hard drives.
Might there be an advantage to upgrading to 14.04?

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:04 PM, Henry W. Peters <hwpeters at jamadots.com> wrote:

On 05/06/2014 07:37 PM, Mike Holstein wrote:

>On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Henry W. Peters <hwpeters at jamadots.com> wrote:
>
>Been using UBS for about a year... on a USB 3 external HD, & dual boot with Windows 8.1 (v. 1310.10 USB currently).
>>
>>Two questions that I have concerning the most recent
              version (14.04):

>>1). Why is it not the upgrade path recommended (i.e.  via
              Software Updater)?

>>2). What are significant differences between these two
              versions (i.e., why update or upgrade)?

>>Thanks for any insights.
>

>1. the path is there, and you can use it if you like, but dont overthink it... http://www.liberiangeek.net/2014/01/daily-ubuntu-tips-upgrade-to-ubuntu-14-04-trusty-tahr-from-13-10/ is a nice read relating to upgrading.. let us know if you have any issues..
>

>2. whats the difference? the main key difference is, 14.04 is an "lts", or long term support release.. 13.10 is supported for 9 months total, which means EOL (end of life) soon (in a few weeks or so, really) compared to 14.04 being supported for 3 years specifically by the ubuntustudio team, and upstream ubuntu 14.04 repos being up and supported for 5 years.. if things are working in 13.10, and its an audio production machine that is not online anyway, there may be little reason for you to want to upgrade. there are always improvements that are made (really, there are always changes made, and one can argue if they are improvements based on how one perceives the changes). personally, i run only lts releases on my production machine, so, i updated 12.04 to 14.04 last week.. it looks great and runs well. i suggest you try it live, and see for yourself first hand how it runs on your specific hardware, and if you prefer it to 13.10.. cheers and enjoy
 ubuntustudio regardless of what version you end up using..

>>Henry
>>
>>--

>MH
>
>likethecow.com

Thanks much for reply Mike. I did try the "live" DVD, just before I wrote my (some what convoluted number one question, sorry about that), & I was rather amazed that my audio system worked from the git go (I tried Audacious). I have, thru the years, tried many different Linux systems on live DVD... & this is the very first time (my) audio worked from the DVD (i.e., card recognized from DVD). That seemed to be a good sign... & I think I agree, LTS does interest me... I'll most probably give it a try...

Regards,
Henry