[ubuntu-studio-users] PC slowing down and freezing after upgrade of hardware

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Fri Mar 7 22:27:33 UTC 2014

On 07/03/14 19:32, Mike Holstein wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM, David King <linuxman at avoura.com
> <mailto:linuxman at avoura.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am running Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on my PC which I built myself. I
>     recently upgraded some of the hardware, including the CPU, RAM and
>     motherboard. I am using the same hard drives and the same
>     installation of Ubuntu Studio.
>
>     When I boot up and if I press ESC during the splash text to see
>     what is going on (such as when it is doing disk checks), I see a
>     constantly-repeated error message as follows:
>
>     [first some changing numbers] hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB
>     device on port 2
>
>     and the same line appears below but the first number is 5 instead
>     of 2, i.e. hub 5-0:1.0:
>
>     Today I am finding after logging into Ubuntu, that Firefox is
>     working okay and then suddenly it freezes when opening a new tab,
>     and then the whole PC goes very slow and is unresponsive. Pressing
>     ALT SysRq REISUB does nothing. Other programs were running as
>     well, and when it happens the RAM usage goes to maximum (8 GB
>     installed) and the CPUs get busier (8-core 4 GHz).
>     The first time it happened I had to do a hard reboot.
>     The second time it happened the PC was still responding, but only
>     just. I pressed CTRL ALT F1 to get into a console, but that was
>     showing the hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
>     message again repeatedly, making it impossible to log in.
>     Going back to the GUI via CTRL ALT F7 I then managed to close each
>     window and reboot.
>
>     So is the USB device error something that could be causing it to
>     go slow? Or is it more likely to be a problem with Firefox or one
>     of its extensions? Or a problem with Ubuntu Studio? I plan to
>     upgrade the new LTS when it comes out in April or whenever.
>
>     When everything works it works well, with the faster CPU than
>     before it never goes slow, normally. I can have various programs
>     open and lots of tabs open in Firefox and it handles it smoothly.
>
>     So how do I fix this, and get rid of that USB device error and
>     with the PC running normally without freezing?
>

> the USB messages are likely just that.. messages.. what would i do?
> try a live CD and remove my currently installed system from the
> equation. i would test the hardware and see that its all installed and
> functioning properly. an opportune time to find issues with hardware
> is when it is new, or very old, or being physically manipulated. you
> could have something as simple as a graphics card driver issue, to
> hardware that doesnt support the kernel you are using.. or, you could
> have broken something hardware related. remove your installation from
> the equation.. see if live CD's run, then, move on to modules you may
> have installed on the old hardware that should be removed.. graphics
> drivers for example.. cheers and good luck
>

>     David King
>

>     --

> MH

> [...]

Thanks for your suggestions.

The slowdown just occured again, when trying to open a link in Firefox
from an email in Thunderbird. I was able to look at the System Monitor
and view the RAM usage, it went to max again, but there was a process
called Browser which was using over 2 GB of RAM, in addition to Firefox
using over 3 GB of RAM (I have a lot of tabs open). So I forceably
closed the Browser process but left Firefox running, and immediately the
RAM usage went down, and the PC was responsive again. However, I also
had to close Firefox as that was not responding.

I am thinking in part it is a bug in Firefox.

As for the USB device, I still have no idea what the error message means
or why it is repeating itself endlessly in the console without stopping.

David K